France: Vintage Travel Posters Book of Postcards
30 color reproductions bound in a handy postcard collection
• Mail the postcards, or keep the book for your own collection
• Decorate your office or dorm room with a wall of images
• Informative introductory text
• Backs of postcards offer enough room for short messages
• Perforated for easy removal
• Oversized postcards may require additional postage
• Pomegranate's books of postcards feature exclusive selections of art from museums and artists around the world
Published with Swann Auction Galleries
Book: 6.875 x 4.75 x .375 in.
Postcard: 6.5 x 4.75 in.
A hotbed of modern European art and culture in the early 20th century, France attracted tourists in droves. Advances in transportation simplified travel for the average person, and French railroad companies and tourism organizations competed to attract visitors to their little part of paradise. Companies hired artists to produce posters of scenic highlights from mountains to coast, city to countryside.
The 30 posters reproduced in this book of postcards come primarily from the interwar period, boom years for French tourism that by 1928 placed the country first among European destinations. Though often little is known about the artists, their works now fascinate everyone from casual observers to studied collectors.