By Odilon Redon, c. 1905. Published with the Cleveland Museum of Art.
Known for his dark, velvety charcoal drawings and lithographs, Odilon Redon began working predominantly in oil and pastel after 1900, thus enlisting color in his explorations of the world of dreams and the imagination. Like other Symbolists, Redon searched for alternative experiences beyond the rational logic of Naturalism and Impressionism. He used his knowledge of botany as a starting point for this painting but infused the flowers with heightened luminosity and sensuous form.