Jaye Oliver: Folk Art Toys & Figurines Coloring Book
To make each of her illustrations, Jaye Oliver visited the Museum of International Folk Art in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and drew the toys, figurines, and other folk art from their collection. As Oliver did, you too can tour the exhibits and find dolls from the Athabascan people of Canada, a household deity from China, a terra-cotta angel from Guatemala, a marionette from Rajasthan, India, and so, so much more. These artful objects, which people have created and used in their everyday lives, tell us a great deal about the world.
Oliver lives in Santa Fe and has spent hours at the museum enjoying folk art from cultures that crisscross the globe. “The displays from various countries bring alive each culture in such fun and colorful ways!” she says. One of Oliver’s favorite pastimes as a child was coloring, and twenty-two of her illustrations have been gathered here for you to color. We’ve also left a blank page in the back of the book where you can draw the toys or other interesting objects in your life.
- Angel with candle holders. Figure, Poland, mid-twentieth century. Carved and painted wood.
- Elephant. Figure, India, c. 1960. Straw and cotton.
- Angel with sword. Cloth painting, Ethiopia, 1960. Paint and cloth.
- Beaded dolls. Dolls; Athabascan people, Canada; twentieth century. Fur and sealskin.
- Angel with flower garland. Ceramic figure; Naples, Italy; early twentieth century. Painted clay.
- Rag doll. African American doll, eastern United States, early twentieth century. Stuffed cotton.
- Dragon. Sculpture; Bali, Indonesia; c. 1970. Carved and painted wood.
- Doll with movable arms and legs. Doll, Burma, 1960. Papier-mâché and paint.
- Angel blowing horn. Woven figure, Ecuador, 1960. Colored straw.
- Man riding tiger. Household deity, China, c. 1920. Painted wood.
- Celestial nymph (Aspara). Angel; Puri, Orissa, India; c. 1960. Painted and sized cloth.
- Man and woman at market. Clay figures by Josefina Aguilar; Oaxaca, Mexico; c. 1980. Painted clay.
- Goddess on a goose. Folk carving; Bali, Indonesia; c. 1970. Carved and painted wood.
- Horse. Folk toy, Japan, twentieth century. Wood and paint.
- Winged Chinese dancer. Opera figure, Taiwan, 1930–1960. Paper, ceramic, and fiber.
- Indian marionette. Marionette; Rajasthan, India; c. 1900. Painted wood and cloth.
- Horseman with feathered hat. Horseman, Spain, c. 1950. Glazed earthenware.
- Terra-cotta angel. Ceramic figure; Chinautla, Guatemala; c. 1960. Painted clay.
- Motorcycle rider. Folk toy, Morocco, twentieth century. Carved and painted wood.
- Winged Chinese dancer with mask. Opera figure, Taiwan, 1930–1960. Ceramic and paper.
- Dolls at Christmas lunch. Dolls, United States and Europe, nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Cloth.
- Musicians riding pigs. Figures; Dymkovo, Kirov, former USSR; c. 1960. Red clay and sand, tempera paint, and applied bits of copper or gold leaf.